Controls System Engineer
- Posting Reference
- Baton Rouge, LA, USA
- Full Time
- Job Category
EthosEnergy is seeking an experienced Controls Engineer/Specialist for the Louisiana Station Power Plant in Baton Rouge, LA. This position has site-wide responsibility and ownership of the controls systems (e.g., Distributed Controls System [DCS], programmable logic controllers [PLCs], etc.) to ensure plant process system reliability. This includes day-to-day support and troubleshooting of issues related to controls hardware, systems, and logic, as well as strategic initiatives and projects related to design, replacement, and upgrade of system(s) and equipment. This position reports to the facility Risk & Reliability (Engineering) Manager and is part of a team of plant engineers.
- Provide subject matter expertise (SME)-level support to Operations and Maintenance departments for all control systems onsite.
- Provide logic support to Operations personnel to reinforce logic sequences, outcomes, and permissives related to system processes and automation.
- Work with Operations and other plant engineers in seeking continuous improvements in automation and control technologies to improve the process automation capability and reliability.
- Assist Maintenance personnel with control systems configuration and setup, as well as advanced troubleshooting and diagnostics.
- Provide technical expertise and guidance in the resolution/prevention of equipment problems. Lead or participate in plant Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and Failure Modes Effects Analysis (FMEA) processes to ensure corrective actions, repairs, or modifications are appropriate and timely in their execution.
- Perform periodic health checks for installed control systems.
- Develop and/or review the Preventive Maintenance (PM) activities on all control systems.
- Conduct strategic initiatives related to control systems management, design, development, configuration, and implementation. This includes assigning and maintaining all I/O points to ensure that appropriate systems can be removed from service as needed to support the plant. Administrative
- Regularly engage and interact with team members from Operations, Maintenance, Engineering, and other departments.
- Provide periodic reports to management regarding findings and status updates.
- Provide comprehensive power plant performance, leadership and support – specifically by analyzing, monitoring, and reporting plant and system performance and condition through assessing operational and maintenance data.
- Direct the activities of contractors to ensure compliance with drawings, specifications, and schedules.
- Identify, evaluate, and provide solutions to complex technical problems in a timely manner.
- Performs other duties and administrative tasks as assigned by management.
- Provide project management support including budgeting, forecasting, procurement, vendor management, cost tracking, planning, scheduling, execution, and reporting.
Required Skills / Knowledge
- A technical knowledge of power plant production processes, operations, maintenance, performance calculations, and practices.
- Technical proficiency in creating, reading, managing, revising technical/engineering documentation – including but not limited to single line diagrams (one-lines/SLDs), piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs), logic diagrams, GAP logic documentation, etc.
- Ability to continually maintain the general health of the DCS, Mark VIe, programmable logic controllers and field devices including transmitters, control valves, meters, and process analytical devices.
- Strong computer skills to include spreadsheets, databases, word- processing and project management software.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to communicate complex issues to management and peers clearly, concisely and accurately.
- Aptitude for learning and determining causes of failure.
- Safety oriented: Keeps safety in mind always – looks out for the safety of teammates and self.
- Ability to understand complex contractual issues as they relate to power plant Operations and Maintenance.
- Ability to productively work independently and as an integral plant staff team member.
- Capable of working independently with the ability to manage multiple tasks in a short time frame.
- Self-motivation and ability to manage multiple projects with changing priorities.
- Ability to respond calmly and think clearly in emergency situations.
- Progressive work experience in electrical power generation or related fields. (Minimum 4 years. 10+ years preferred, not mandatory.)
- A recognized degree in an engineering or scientific discipline from an accredited college or university. (Electrical/Controls Engineering preferred, not mandatory.)
- A professional license in an appropriate discipline from a recognized licensing board or specialized courses in relevant general engineering or appropriate engineering discipline. (Preferred, not mandatory.)
- Lift up to 50 lbs.
What We Offer
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, Vision & 401 K Plan
- Paid Time Off & Holidays
- Extra Money in your Paycheck - Employee Referral Bonus
- Personal Development & Career Succession Planning
- Company sponsored Perks & Discount programs
EthosEnergy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, citizenship, marital status, sex/gender, sexual preference/ orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, national origin, or any other status protected by law or regulation.
To apply for this vacancy please click the button below and submit your details. We thank you for your application and interest, and we look forward to hearing from you!
You may not meet all the criteria, however if you meet most, please apply.